- The Taos Pueblo is one of the oldest continuously inhabited communities in New Mexico that spans 15 acres with a population of around 1,425.
- The Tribe originally had no access to Broadband Internet.
- In 2014, the Taos Pueblo tribe began work on starting high-speed Internet service from Kit Carson Telecom.
- Funding/ Support
- 2011 - 2012: partnered with Kit Carson Telecom and start of construction for installation of fiber optics
- $44 million grant through Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 to bring Fiber-To-The-Home, and a $19.5 Million dollar United States Department of Agriculture loan.
- program gives Taos Pueblo Tribal members the tools necessary to create economic development, telehealth/telemedicine, and most importantly educational opportunities
- Strategies for success for this project
- Partnerships that provide education
- Working with Kit Carson Telecom not only provided opportunities for funding but also provided programing to community members to develop educational opportunities, health initiatives, and connectivity between members
Reliance – Engagement
Issues: Education - Health initiatives
Strategies: Native Involvement - Partnerships
Forms of Access: Everyone - Community